You learn something new every day, but you probably didn’t know that two similar sandbox products are on the market.
Both are made for kids, and both are a ton of fun! This blog will compare kinetic sand vs Play-Doh and find out which one is better.
Let’s get started!
Kinetic Sand vs Play-Doh
|98% sand, 2% polydimethylsiloxane (aka silicone oil)
|A mixture of water, salt, and flour
|3 years and up
|2 years and up
|Easy To Clean Up
|It is difficult to clean and also leaves a residue
|Does not dry out
|Dries out Fast
|Does not last long and grows mold
|5:3 Sand to Cornstarch and oil(Optional)
|All Purpose Flour, Salt, Tartar, Water, Vegetable Oil
What is Kinetic Sand?
Kinetic sand is a moldable compound that allows you to create sculptures and art without worrying about making a mess.
The mixture is 98% sand and 2% polydimethylsiloxane (aka silicone oil).
It’s designed to never dry out like regular sand, making it perfect for kids of all ages.
What age is kinetic sand good for?
Kinetic sand is suitable for kids of 3 years and above. It is made of non-toxic materials and is safe for kids.
Just check the ingredients used as specified by the manufacturer and check the safety guidelines.
What is Play-Doh?
Play-Doh is a modeling compound that is popular among children.
It is usually sold in bright plastic containers and can be purchased at almost any toy store.
It is made of flour and salt, with a few other fillers thrown in.
Play-Doh is non-toxic and is often made to smell like fruit, but it is still not edible and should not be eaten.
It is a popular product that has stood the test of time and is still relatively unchanged, even though there are many knock-offs of Play-Doh.
Play-Doh is a unique product that can be molded and can be used to create almost any type of creation, including a cake, a truck, and even a turtle. Play-Doh is a popular product among children and is often a favorite in kindergarten classrooms.
What age is Play-Doh good for?
Play-Doh is appropriate for kids who are 2 years and up.
Is Kinetic Sand better than Play-Doh?
Kinetic sand is a newer product in the children’s toy scene, but it’s a lot like Play-Doh. So, is Kinetic Sand better than Play-Doh?
The short answer is yes, but not for the reason you’re probably thinking.
No, it’s not because it’s made from 98% sand and 2% binding ingredients.
It’s not because it’s “healthy for kids” or because it’s odorless and messy.
The answer is yes because the experience is better. Play-Doh is an enjoyable product, but it’s well it’s a bit of a mess.
Kids enjoy playing with Play-Doh, but they also get it everywhere, and they can be left with a real mess to deal with after they’re done.
On the other hand, Kinetic sand is mess-free and is safe for kids to use. It’s non-toxic and completely safe.
Does kinetic sand dry out like Play-Doh?
Kinetic sand does not dry out like Play-Doh. Kinetic sand is unique sand made from a mixture of polymers, which are made to keep the sand together.
This makes the sand itself a lot stronger than the traditional Play-Doh.
This isn’t a huge deal, but it is nice to know that you won’t have to go through the process of making your kinetic sand over and over again.
Choosing between Kinetic sand and Play-Doh is up to the consumer since both products are made with the same basic ingredients and function similarly.
There are some differences between the two products, though.
Play-Doh is a modeling compound made from flour, salt, water, and food coloring, while kinetic sand is made from non-toxic, odorless materials that are entirely safe for children.
You need to check the ingredients and safety before purchasing.
Here are some of the Kinetic Sand choices:
- 3.25LBS KINETIC BEACH SAND: This Amazon exclusive…
- MESS-FREE SENSORY FUN: A great addition to your…
- ENDLESS CREATIVITY: Stimulate your child’s…
- ENDLESS CREATVITY: Kids can squish and mix colors…
- LOADS OF SENSORY FUN: Kinetic Sand for kids…
- MADE WITH NATURAL SAND: Kinetic Sand is safe for…
- 5KG (11LB) OF KINETIC SAND: This box has 5kg…
- ENCOURAGES CREATIVITY: Kinetic Sand arts and…
- MADE WITH NATURAL SAND: Kinetic Sand is safe for…
- ONE & ONLY KINETIC SAND: The original magical…
- 2LBS COLORED SAND & 10 TOOLS: Unlock a world of…
- MIX, MOLD & CREATE: Experiment with the three…
Last update on 2024-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here are some of the excellent Play-Doh options:
- ZOOM ZOOM THE PLAY-DOH VACUUM: Your trusty cleanup…
- REALLY PICKS UP PLAY-DOH PIECES: A kids vacuum…
- 6 CLEANING TOY ACCESSORIES: The sprinkle maker,…
- 10 cans of creative fun – kids can get creative…
- Just the right colors to start – shape, squish,…
- Shape your imagination – squishy, bright,…
- PLAY-DOH VARIETY 24-PACK: Kids can make their own…
- CREATIVITY FOR EVERY OCCASION: Shape, squish, mix,…
- 3 OUNCES PER CAN: These 3 oz Play-Doh cans make…
- PLAY DENTIST AND CREATE SMILES: Open up and say…
- DRILL AND FILL PLAY-DOH TEETH: Use the…
- ADD METALLIC COLORED PLAY-DOH BRACES AND FILLINGS:…
Last update on 2024-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Let’s conclude the post!
I hope you enjoyed this post on Kinetic Sand vs Play-Doh. It’s always great to find a new activity to help keep the kids entertained.
There is another type of sand known as Moon Sand. You can check the comparison of Kinetic Sand vs Moon Sand here.
So if you’re looking for a new way to keep the kids entertained, you should check out Kinetic Sand!